Re: IS Journal Categorisation

Dear John:

Journal categorization is a topic in which I have a keen interest.  As the
editor of Information Science Abstracts (ISA) which covers a subject area
very closely related to information systems, I try to keep knowledgeable
about the relevant journals in the field.  So your e-mail was very
interesting to me.  You might want to take a look at my paper in JASIST for
January 2001 in which I propose a new definition of "information science"
and present a "map" of the subject and its related subject areas.  I have
also just developed a new taxonomy for information science (copy attached)
which we have begun to use as the subject classification of ISA.  You can
see the list of journals covered in ISA on its web site:
http://www.infotoday.com/isa/default.htm

Is there anything on which it would be profitable to collaborate?  I'd be
delighted to hear from you.

Best regards,

Don.

Donald T. Hawkins
Editor-in-Chief, Information Science Abstracts and Fulltext Sources Online
Information Today, Inc.
143 Old Marlton Pike
Medford, NJ  08055-8570
Phone (609)-654-6266 or (800)-300-9868